New York Bagels ‘N Bialys
Are you looking for a great place to bring your furry friend during this amazing weather? Look no further…New York Bagels ‘N Bialys is a family restaurant with delicious food and a DOG-FRIENDLY patio! Join Scott as he introduces us to Shelley & Ruth, the owners of this fine establishment. Not only do they have amazing bagels, they have an outstanding french dip to celebrate National French Dip Day today!
– Hey gang, today we’ve got an amazing local deli experience for you that has a dog-friendly outdoor patio. Come on in. Hey gang, Scott with the Scott Gaertner group here and we are in New York Bagels ‘N Bialys which is a locally owned, amazing deli establishment. I want you guys to get to know Shelly and Ruth here. But we’re going to go outside ’cause it’s kind of busy around here, this place is always jammed. So come on outside to the dog-friendly patio and we’ll do more. All right, now we’re out here on the dog-friendly patio with Pinnacle Peak in the background. How good is this? So, again, Ruth and Shelley, you got to come up and get to know these guys. Great folks. But you guys been doin’ this now like 14 years here in the valley and you’re not from here. Where are you guys from?
– I’m from Jersey.
– I’m originally from Denver and then I moved to Jersey.
– Okay, good, so, I always tell people my kids are the only native Arizonans I’ve ever met. You have to make ’em if you want to meet ’em. But so they’re out here enjoyin’ it with us but so 14 years this establishment, what about here? Now we’re in Scottsdale North, the corner of Pinnacle Peak and Pima. How long you been in this establishment?
– [Ruth] We opened about six weeks ago up here so we’re inviting everyone to come and see our newest location. Come and join us up here, come have some breakfast, there’s lunch.
– And you got to do that but, you know, the first question, no, maybe everybody in the world knows but me. But I got to start with what’s a bialy?
– A bialy is similar to a bagel but it’s not boiled first so it’s lighter, fluffier, and it has no hole, it’s got a depression. No fat, no sugar, very low sodium. One Weight Water point.
– We can make a convert out of anybody.
– But, you know, that actually brings up another thing. I was readin’ online about you guys on how you buy locally. You make everything here, in town, everyday, locally. And one of the things it said is that you have a kettle. I’ve never seen a kettle in any type, bagel, or deli experience, what’s the kettle thing?
– The kettle is a enormous pot. To kind of break it down simply. We fill it with water, it’s boiling all the time, all the bagels start in that kettle. We boil them and then we put them on burlap-covered boards and that’s where the seeds are applied before they go into the oven and that’s what makes it dense and chewy. That’s what creates a true New York water bagel. If you want to bagel, it needs to be boiled first. If it’s not boiled, it’s not a bagel, it’s just bread with a hole in it.
– That makes sense. And also we had talked about the meats, ya actually buy those locally and it’s kind of a special process, too, right?
– We do, we have a fella downtown Phoenix who has a USDA inspector on site and he does to our recipe all of our meats and brings them up to us, every week.
– So really, these guys are about supporting local businesses. We’re about supporting local business. This is perfect for us and then, like I say, in Scottsdale, there’s not that many outdoor patios so when we find ’em, we want to talk about ’em and this one is dog friendly. How dog friendly? This is the menu, is it just dog menu or is the pet menu? I don’t know.
– It says doggie but we’re more than happy to serve any. Don’t bring your mountain lion.
– So this is it. If you’re lookin’ for an amazing place with incredible food and, by the way, specialties here, what’s your biggest specialties?
– [Shelley] Probably a Reuben sandwich for breakfast or for lunch and then a french toast. We make an amazing challah french toast.
– And then we’re also, we found that they specialize in a french dip as well. I’m going to try one of those so you guys can watch me eat. So not only amazing food, you guys actually have drinks too?
– [Shelley] Absolutely we have a full bar and we do bottomless mimosas and bloody Marys every day.
– [Scott] Every day?
– Every day.
– Oh please. Debbie, my wife’s going to be seeing this. She is a mimosa queen. We’re not goin’ here every weekend, all right?
– We’ll invite her.
– Thank you. All right, the New York Bagel and Bialys french dip, here we go. Oh yeah. You got to check this out. This is good.
About Scott Gaertner
Since 1984 Scott’s real estate career has always been committed to exceptional results and his business philosophy has always been “If you want extraordinary results, find out what the ordinary do – and then don’t do it!” Consequently his career has been a trail of astonishing successes created from ground-breaking methods.
His first year in real estate selling new homes for a large builder, Scott sold 101 homes and became the first recipient of the Arizona Homebuilders Association’s “Most Net Units Sold Award.” The Association created the award that year because they said nobody had ever heard of that many homes being sold in one year before! Later, due to his continued successes, he became the first recipient of the Homebuilder’s Association’s “Lifetime Achievement Award.”
In the resale home business, Scott continued his innovative trends by opening Scottsdale’s first real estate company devoted solely to representing real estate buyers. This pioneering event in 1990 was long before most had ever heard of the term “buyer’s agency” or considered buyer representation. After years of teaching classes and bringing much needed media exposure to the cause, buyer’s agency has become the accepted standard of practice. That cause complete, Scott moved on to a more traditional role with Keller Williams Northeast Realty. But of course, not in an ordinary way . . .
Shunning the conventional wisdom in resale real estate that says “Specialize in everything!” Scott adopted one small corner of the Scottsdale market to call his own. Using typically unconventional marketing methods and strategies, he became the dominant agent in one zip code of Scottsdale North. Dominant not only in numbers of sales, but in pricing successes for his clients.
By 2018, Scott’s techniques have proven so successful that he is now guaranteeing his results, and expanding his business to a much larger market in the North Valley.